Skip to main content

I have DACA, can I travel outside the United States?

Generally, Yes!

At Kuck Immigration Partners we have been helping our DACA clients obtain a travel permit, also known as Advance Parole, for several years now. If you have DACA and have not taken the opportunity to travel abroad, we’ll briefly explain how it works.

First of all, simply having DACA does not mean you can leave the U.S.; the travel permit needs to be approved before any trip can take place. There are three reasons to request Advance Parole:
  1. Humanitarian – to attend funeral services for family members, visit family members who are ill, or to seek medical treatment
  2. Educational – to pursue a study abroad program or academic research
  3. Employment – to attend trainings, conferences, business meetings, or other foreign assignments

Advance Parole is a great opportunity to visit family abroad, but it can also provide a significant benefit in obtaining permanent residence in the U.S.

In 2012, a case decided by the Board of Immigration Appeals allowed individuals who came into the U.S. with Advance Parole to adjust to legal permanent residence even if their initial entry was unlawful. This process would avoid the requirement of traveling to the country of origin to be interviewed at the consulate before obtaining permanent residence.

Let me give you an example:
  1. John came to the U.S. undocumented as a young child and qualifies for DACA
  2.  John obtains DACA and also Advance Parole
  3.  He visits his ill grandmother outside the U.S.
  4.  John has a family member who can petition him, like a U.S. citizen spouse or child
  5.  Upon his return to the U.S., John would be inspected and admitted by an immigration official
  6.  Because of that legal entry, he can now apply for residency from the U.S.
Now, I must caution you. Not everyone who has DACA should travel outside the U.S., it will depend on your criminal and immigration history. Consult with an immigration attorney who can determine if Advance Parole is the right option for you.


Popular posts from this blog

If You Are An Immigrant (even a US Citizen), Here Are 9 Things You Should Know

Are you a Naturalized U.S. Citizen, Lawful Permanent Resident, Visa Holder, or an Undocumented Immigrant? We recommend you take the following steps to protect yourself in our current version of America.
The last couple of weeks have reminded immigrants, even naturalized U.S. citizens, that they were not born in the United States. Our office has received countless phone calls, emails, and social media messages from people worrying about what their family’s future in the United States holds.
Most people want to know what they can do now to protect themselves from what promises to be a wave of anti-immigration activity by the federal government. Trump's Executive Order on Interior Enforcement has some provisions that should make most Americans shiver.  We recommend the following actions for each of the following groups:
Naturalized U.S. citizens. In particular if you have a foreign accent, and you are traveling within 100 miles of any US Border (including the oceans), we strongly rec…

Why is USCIS Taking So Long to Renew DACA Work Permits?

If the calls to our office are any indicator, there are thousands of DACA recipients whose work permit applications were filed at least three months prior to expiration, who are still waiting for their renewed work permits.  Without renewed permits, these individuals lose the right to work legally, the right to drive, and may once again accrue unlawful presence.

The DHS published a notice in October 2014 advising DACA recipients that they could file their request for extension up to 150 days (5 months) prior to expiration.  As with all things government, very few of the DACA recipients, who tend not to frequent government websites, knew about the memo and many did not file so far before expiration perhaps thinking that extending a work permit was a like extending a drivers license, its is done in a few minutes.  As an experienced immigration lawyer will tell you, the USCIS does nothing quickly, and certainly does not worry that a person may lose their job or their driver's licens…


Todas las personas en los Estados Unidos, incluidos los extranjeros y aun los con ordenes de deportacion, tienen ciertos derechos básicos que deben ser respetados por los agentes de Inmigración y Aduanas (ICE). Estos derechos se derivan tanto de la Constitución de los Estados Unidos. y las leyes de Estados Unidos. Como extranjero, usted tiene los siguientes derechos:

Usted tiene el derecho de negar la entrada a un agente de ICE a su casa sin una orden válida. Esta orden debe ser firmado por un juez. Usted puede negarse a abrir la puerta, o se puede cerrar la puerta después de descubrir que el agente no tiene una orden válida. Los agentes del ICE generalmente no vienen con una orden judicial. Estos agentes suelen venir a la casa de alguien con una orden final de deportación, muy temprano en la mañana. Si alguien está golpeando en su puerta a las 6:00 am, no le es requerido abrir la puerta. Mirar fuera de primera. Si es un agente del gobierno, ust…