Skip to main content

Can I File Form I-751 If I am Separated from My Spouse? Atlanta Green Card Lawyer Explains

If you married a U.S. citizen and were granted a green card within two years of your marriage date, then you will be a conditional permanent resident of the United States for two years. In order to remove the conditions of your residency, you will have to file a Form I-751, Petition to Remove Conditions on Residence 90 days prior to the expiration of the two years of conditional residence. If your Form I-751 petition is successful, then your legal residency in the United States will be extended for 10 years.

When you file Form I-751, you must specify whether you are “married” or “divorced” – but there is no option for “separated.” For couples who are taking a break, filing Form I-751 can be confusing, and a small mistake could compromise your ability to remain in the United States.

This is where an immigration attorney can help. Charles Kuck is a green card lawyer in Atlanta who will evaluate your situation and explain the steps you should take when trying to remove the conditions of your residency in the United States. Call 404-816-8611 to schedule a consultation at Kuck Immigration Partners.

My Divorce Is Pending and I Do Not Live with My Spouse. Should I File Form I-751 as If I am Married?

No. If your divorce is pending and you are not living with your spouse, it is fraudulent to file Form I-751 as if you are married and share the same address with your spouse.

In some cases, a pending divorce will not be finalized until the two-year Form I-551 deadline expires. This is common because divorce proceedings in some states take at least six months.

In this situation, many people think it is a good  idea to file Form I-751 late – after your divorce proceedings are complete, but it is not.  While USCIS officers may excuse the late filing if you provide a reasonable explanation for why you did not file the petition on time, there is no guarantee that will happen. Generally, the best practice is to file the form as married, but indicate in an attachment that you are separate and pursing divorce.

What If My Spouse and I Are Trying to Resolve Our Marital Issues?

In this situation, it is often still better to get divorced as soon as possible so you can avoid potential complications when filing Form I-751. Again, it is fraudulent to say that you and your spouse are married and living at the same address if this is not true. Depending on the specifics of your case, it may be better to get divorced, indicate that you are divorced on Form I-751, and then try to resolve your relationship problems and possibly remarry.

As you can see, removing the conditions of permanent residency in the United States is often a complicated process. A green card lawyer can provide legal guidance based on the particular facts of your case and help you avoid mistakes that would lead to a denial of your Form I-751 petition.

Charles Kuck is an immigration attorney in Atlanta who will help you navigate U.S. immigration laws. Call 404-816-8611 today to schedule a consultation at Kuck Immigration Partners.


Popular posts from this blog

If You Are An Immigrant (even a US Citizen), Here Are 9 Things You Should Know

Are you a Naturalized U.S. Citizen, Lawful Permanent Resident, Visa Holder, or an Undocumented Immigrant? We recommend you take the following steps to protect yourself in our current version of America.
The last couple of weeks have reminded immigrants, even naturalized U.S. citizens, that they were not born in the United States. Our office has received countless phone calls, emails, and social media messages from people worrying about what their family’s future in the United States holds.
Most people want to know what they can do now to protect themselves from what promises to be a wave of anti-immigration activity by the federal government. Trump's Executive Order on Interior Enforcement has some provisions that should make most Americans shiver.  We recommend the following actions for each of the following groups:
Naturalized U.S. citizens. In particular if you have a foreign accent, and you are traveling within 100 miles of any US Border (including the oceans), we strongly rec…
Si usted es inmigrante (incluso un ciudadano de los EE.UU.), aquí hay 9 cosas que usted debe saber.

¿Es usted un ciudadano estadounidense naturalizado, residente legal permanente, titular de una visa o inmigrante indocumentado? Le recomendamos que tome los siguientes pasos para protegerse de nuestra versión actual de América.
Las últimas semanas hemos recordado a los inmigrantes, incluso a los ciudadanos estadounidenses naturalizados, que no nacieron en los Estados Unidos. Nuestra oficina ha recibido innumerables llamadas telefónicas, mensajes de correo electrónico y mensajes de medios sociales de personas preocupadas por el futuro de su familia en los Estados Unidos.
La mayoría de gente quiere saber qué puede hacer ahora para protegerse de lo que promete ser una ola de actividad anti-inmigración por parte del gobierno federal. La orden ejecutiva de Trump sobre la aplicación de la ley interior tiene algunas disposiciones que deberían hacer temblar a la mayoría de los estadounidenses. …

Why is USCIS Taking So Long to Renew DACA Work Permits?

If the calls to our office are any indicator, there are thousands of DACA recipients whose work permit applications were filed at least three months prior to expiration, who are still waiting for their renewed work permits.  Without renewed permits, these individuals lose the right to work legally, the right to drive, and may once again accrue unlawful presence.

The DHS published a notice in October 2014 advising DACA recipients that they could file their request for extension up to 150 days (5 months) prior to expiration.  As with all things government, very few of the DACA recipients, who tend not to frequent government websites, knew about the memo and many did not file so far before expiration perhaps thinking that extending a work permit was a like extending a drivers license, its is done in a few minutes.  As an experienced immigration lawyer will tell you, the USCIS does nothing quickly, and certainly does not worry that a person may lose their job or their driver's licens…