Skip to main content

What Are the Eligibility Requirements of the L-1 Visa Program? Atlanta Business Immigration Lawyer Explains

The L-1 visa is available to employees of an international company that has an office in the United States. It allows a foreign worker to enter the United States and work at the company’s U.S. office after working abroad for at least one continuous year within the previous three years.

If you intend to petition for an L-1 visa, you will have to provide documentation to prove the following:

·       The U.S. company has a qualifying relationship with the entity abroad;
·       The foreign employee has worked abroad for the required amount of time; and
·       The foreign employee worked abroad in a qualifying capacity.

One minor oversight during the petitioning process could lead to a denial of your application or unnecessary delays. Charles Kuck is an immigration attorney in Atlanta who can answer your questions about the L-1 visa program and help you gather evidence to prove your eligibility. Call 404-816-8611 today to schedule a consultation at Kuck Immigration Partners.

Let’s examine a few of the eligibility criteria for obtaining an L-1 visa:

U.S. Company Has a Qualifying Relationship with the Entity Abroad

The U.S. office must be an affiliate, subsidiary, parent, or branch of the foreign entity, and both the foreign entity and the U.S. office must continue to share common control and ownership. Your attorney may use the following evidence prove these criteria:

·       Articles of incorporation;
·       Business licenses;
·       Annual reports that describe the corporate structure;
·       Contracts that detail the affiliate relationship;
·       Corporate filings that describe the corporate relationship;
·       Stock purchase agreements; and
·       Voting rights agreements.

This list is non-exhaustive. Your L-1 Visa attorney can help you identify other evidence to prove that the U.S. company has a qualifying relationship with the entity abroad.

The Foreign Employee Has Worked Abroad for the Required Amount of Time

In order to qualify for an L-1 visa, the foreign employee must have worked at the foreign entity for at least one continuous year within the previous three years. You can use the following evidence to prove this criterion:

·       Payroll records;
·       Paystubs;
·       Tax returns; or
·       Proof of work product.

The Foreign Employee Worked Abroad in a Qualifying Capacity

The foreign employee must demonstrate that he or she worked abroad in an executive, managerial, or specialized knowledge capacity. You can use the following evidence to prove this criterion:

·       Job descriptions related to your position;
·       Patents or other evidence of the company’s services, products, or technology that are based on your work;
·       Your résumé;
·       Organization charts that show your position;
·       Performance reviews; and
·       Loans or financing from the company.

If you are interested in petitioning for an L-1 visa, contact Kuck Immigration Partners. Charles Kuck is an immigration attorney in Atlanta who will help you navigate U.S. immigration laws and avoid crucial mistakes.

Call 404-816-8611 today to schedule a consultation. You can learn more about U.S. immigration laws by visiting


Popular posts from this blog

If You Are An Immigrant (even a US Citizen), Here Are 9 Things You Should Know

Are you a Naturalized U.S. Citizen, Lawful Permanent Resident, Visa Holder, or an Undocumented Immigrant? We recommend you take the following steps to protect yourself in our current version of America.
The last couple of weeks have reminded immigrants, even naturalized U.S. citizens, that they were not born in the United States. Our office has received countless phone calls, emails, and social media messages from people worrying about what their family’s future in the United States holds.
Most people want to know what they can do now to protect themselves from what promises to be a wave of anti-immigration activity by the federal government. Trump's Executive Order on Interior Enforcement has some provisions that should make most Americans shiver.  We recommend the following actions for each of the following groups:
Naturalized U.S. citizens. In particular if you have a foreign accent, and you are traveling within 100 miles of any US Border (including the oceans), we strongly rec…
Si usted es inmigrante (incluso un ciudadano de los EE.UU.), aquí hay 9 cosas que usted debe saber.

¿Es usted un ciudadano estadounidense naturalizado, residente legal permanente, titular de una visa o inmigrante indocumentado? Le recomendamos que tome los siguientes pasos para protegerse de nuestra versión actual de América.
Las últimas semanas hemos recordado a los inmigrantes, incluso a los ciudadanos estadounidenses naturalizados, que no nacieron en los Estados Unidos. Nuestra oficina ha recibido innumerables llamadas telefónicas, mensajes de correo electrónico y mensajes de medios sociales de personas preocupadas por el futuro de su familia en los Estados Unidos.
La mayoría de gente quiere saber qué puede hacer ahora para protegerse de lo que promete ser una ola de actividad anti-inmigración por parte del gobierno federal. La orden ejecutiva de Trump sobre la aplicación de la ley interior tiene algunas disposiciones que deberían hacer temblar a la mayoría de los estadounidenses. …

Why is USCIS Taking So Long to Renew DACA Work Permits?

If the calls to our office are any indicator, there are thousands of DACA recipients whose work permit applications were filed at least three months prior to expiration, who are still waiting for their renewed work permits.  Without renewed permits, these individuals lose the right to work legally, the right to drive, and may once again accrue unlawful presence.

The DHS published a notice in October 2014 advising DACA recipients that they could file their request for extension up to 150 days (5 months) prior to expiration.  As with all things government, very few of the DACA recipients, who tend not to frequent government websites, knew about the memo and many did not file so far before expiration perhaps thinking that extending a work permit was a like extending a drivers license, its is done in a few minutes.  As an experienced immigration lawyer will tell you, the USCIS does nothing quickly, and certainly does not worry that a person may lose their job or their driver's licens…