Skip to main content

How Do I Hire a Temporary Foreign Worker (H-1B)?

The H-1B visa program enables highly skilled immigrants to live and work temporarily in the United States. As outlined by U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services, there are strict requirements that a foreign national must meet to obtain an H-1B visa. These include:

The immigrant must have a bachelor’s degree or equivalent – three years of experience in an occupation typically equals one year of education;
The job must be a “specialty occupation” – these typically require a bachelor’s degree; and
An employer-employee relationship must exist between the H-1B worker and the U.S. employer.

In order to prevent U.S. employers from hiring foreign nationals just for cheap labor, the employer must pay the H-1B visa holder the prevailing wage for the specific occupation. Several factors, including the location of the job, influence the prevailing wage.

If you would like to hire a foreign national through the H-1B visa program, it is highly advisable that you contact an employment-based visa attorney. You will need extensive evidence to prove that the foreign national qualifies for an H-1B visa and that you have fulfilled your requirements as an employer of an H-1B visa holder.

Charles Kuck is an immigration lawyer in Atlanta who will help you navigate U.S. immigration laws, avoid mistakes, and possibly speed up the application process. Call 404-816-8611 today to schedule a consultation at Kuck Immigration Partners.

Is It Possible to Obtain an H-1B Visa If the Foreign National Does Not Have a Bachelor’s Degree?

Yes. If the foreign national does not have a bachelor’s degree, he or she may still be eligible for an H-1B visa if:

The immigrant has specialized education, training, or work experience that is equivalent to a U.S. bachelor’s degree or higher degree in the specific occupation; or
The immigrant has an unrestricted state license, registration, or certification that allows him or her to work in the specialty occupation immediately within the state of intended employment.

If you would like to learn more about the H-1B visa program, turn to Kuck Immigration Partners. Charles Kuck is the past President of the Alliance of Business Immigration Lawyers (ABIL). Call 404-816-8611 to arrange a consultation with an immigration lawyer in Atlanta.


Popular posts from this blog

If You Are An Immigrant (even a US Citizen), Here Are 9 Things You Should Know

Are you a Naturalized U.S. Citizen, Lawful Permanent Resident, Visa Holder, or an Undocumented Immigrant? We recommend you take the following steps to protect yourself in our current version of America.
The last couple of weeks have reminded immigrants, even naturalized U.S. citizens, that they were not born in the United States. Our office has received countless phone calls, emails, and social media messages from people worrying about what their family’s future in the United States holds.
Most people want to know what they can do now to protect themselves from what promises to be a wave of anti-immigration activity by the federal government. Trump's Executive Order on Interior Enforcement has some provisions that should make most Americans shiver.  We recommend the following actions for each of the following groups:
Naturalized U.S. citizens. In particular if you have a foreign accent, and you are traveling within 100 miles of any US Border (including the oceans), we strongly rec…
Si usted es inmigrante (incluso un ciudadano de los EE.UU.), aquí hay 9 cosas que usted debe saber.

¿Es usted un ciudadano estadounidense naturalizado, residente legal permanente, titular de una visa o inmigrante indocumentado? Le recomendamos que tome los siguientes pasos para protegerse de nuestra versión actual de América.
Las últimas semanas hemos recordado a los inmigrantes, incluso a los ciudadanos estadounidenses naturalizados, que no nacieron en los Estados Unidos. Nuestra oficina ha recibido innumerables llamadas telefónicas, mensajes de correo electrónico y mensajes de medios sociales de personas preocupadas por el futuro de su familia en los Estados Unidos.
La mayoría de gente quiere saber qué puede hacer ahora para protegerse de lo que promete ser una ola de actividad anti-inmigración por parte del gobierno federal. La orden ejecutiva de Trump sobre la aplicación de la ley interior tiene algunas disposiciones que deberían hacer temblar a la mayoría de los estadounidenses. …

Why is USCIS Taking So Long to Renew DACA Work Permits?

If the calls to our office are any indicator, there are thousands of DACA recipients whose work permit applications were filed at least three months prior to expiration, who are still waiting for their renewed work permits.  Without renewed permits, these individuals lose the right to work legally, the right to drive, and may once again accrue unlawful presence.

The DHS published a notice in October 2014 advising DACA recipients that they could file their request for extension up to 150 days (5 months) prior to expiration.  As with all things government, very few of the DACA recipients, who tend not to frequent government websites, knew about the memo and many did not file so far before expiration perhaps thinking that extending a work permit was a like extending a drivers license, its is done in a few minutes.  As an experienced immigration lawyer will tell you, the USCIS does nothing quickly, and certainly does not worry that a person may lose their job or their driver's licens…