Skip to main content


On November 20, 2014, President Obama announced that he would be granting deferred action to certain parents of U.S. citizens or lawful permanent residents.  Deferred action is the same benefit that was offered to childhood arrivals (DACA) that has essentially been extended to another, larger group of people. 


·       You must have a U.S. citizen child or lawful permanent resident child on this date.  Children born after 11/20/2014 will not make you eligible.
·       You must have lived continuously in the U.S. since before January 1, 2014.
·       You must be physically in the U.S. on November 20, 2014 and the date you apply for DAPA.
·       You must not be in lawful status as of November 20, 2014.
·       You must not be an enforcement priority to ICE because of criminal issues.  This means you cannot have a felony conviction or a serious misdemeanor.  If you have a question about whether a conviction is considered serious, contact us soon to discuss.


President Obama has instructed immigration to be ready to accept applications for DAPA within 180 days, so the estimated start date for receiving application will be approximately May, 2015. 

YOU ARE NOT ABLE TO APPLY NOW.  This is important.  Though we know more or less what the forms will be and what documentation will be required, if you file your application before time you risk losing your filing fee, and your case will be denied or rejected.  There will be notarios and unethical attorneys taking money now and promising to file cases now.  Don’t be fooled!


·       You should save money, if you have not done so already.  The filing fees will be around $465 (just as with DACA).
·       Schedule an appointment ASAP if you have any criminal issues to help determine if they will affect your DAPA application.
·       Visit an attorney to review the specific facts of your case and get information so that you are ready to file when applications are ready to be accepted.
·       Get your passport!  You will need this at various stages of the application process.  Do this now, as there will likely be a wait time with your consulate.
·       See an accountant.  Make sure that your taxes are in order for the last several years.  Immigration will be requesting these as part of the application process.  We can provide you the contact information for some trusted and fair accountants who can assist.
·       Gather documents.  You will need to file documents with your application to show that you are eligible for DAPA.  The following list is a good starting point of documents you will need to provide:

1.         Two passport size photographs;

2.         Copy of passport biographical page of passport, visas and forms I-94;

3.         Copy of birth certificates for you and your children;

4.         Copy of marriage certificate or divorce, if applicable;

5.         Copy of every court case on record, specifically any criminal convictions, and copies of all police reports, and proof and that all traffic tickets have been paid;

6.         Copies of any immigration documents you may have;

7.            Copy of college transcripts, degree, and other evidence of you attending post high-school courses, if any;

8.         Proof of presence before and since January 1, 2010:

ü Tax returns filed by you, or including you;
ü Past leases, receipts, records dating to before that date which show living in the United States;
ü Affidavits from relatives, friends, teachers, employers, neighbors attesting to your presence in the United States;
ü Photographs placing you in the US before 2010;  and

ü School records if you attended school in the U.S.


Popular posts from this blog

If You Are An Immigrant (even a US Citizen), Here Are 9 Things You Should Know

Are you a Naturalized U.S. Citizen, Lawful Permanent Resident, Visa Holder, or an Undocumented Immigrant? We recommend you take the following steps to protect yourself in our current version of America.
The last couple of weeks have reminded immigrants, even naturalized U.S. citizens, that they were not born in the United States. Our office has received countless phone calls, emails, and social media messages from people worrying about what their family’s future in the United States holds.
Most people want to know what they can do now to protect themselves from what promises to be a wave of anti-immigration activity by the federal government. Trump's Executive Order on Interior Enforcement has some provisions that should make most Americans shiver.  We recommend the following actions for each of the following groups:
Naturalized U.S. citizens. In particular if you have a foreign accent, and you are traveling within 100 miles of any US Border (including the oceans), we strongly rec…

Why is USCIS Taking So Long to Renew DACA Work Permits?

If the calls to our office are any indicator, there are thousands of DACA recipients whose work permit applications were filed at least three months prior to expiration, who are still waiting for their renewed work permits.  Without renewed permits, these individuals lose the right to work legally, the right to drive, and may once again accrue unlawful presence.

The DHS published a notice in October 2014 advising DACA recipients that they could file their request for extension up to 150 days (5 months) prior to expiration.  As with all things government, very few of the DACA recipients, who tend not to frequent government websites, knew about the memo and many did not file so far before expiration perhaps thinking that extending a work permit was a like extending a drivers license, its is done in a few minutes.  As an experienced immigration lawyer will tell you, the USCIS does nothing quickly, and certainly does not worry that a person may lose their job or their driver's licens…


Todas las personas en los Estados Unidos, incluidos los extranjeros y aun los con ordenes de deportacion, tienen ciertos derechos básicos que deben ser respetados por los agentes de Inmigración y Aduanas (ICE). Estos derechos se derivan tanto de la Constitución de los Estados Unidos. y las leyes de Estados Unidos. Como extranjero, usted tiene los siguientes derechos:

Usted tiene el derecho de negar la entrada a un agente de ICE a su casa sin una orden válida. Esta orden debe ser firmado por un juez. Usted puede negarse a abrir la puerta, o se puede cerrar la puerta después de descubrir que el agente no tiene una orden válida. Los agentes del ICE generalmente no vienen con una orden judicial. Estos agentes suelen venir a la casa de alguien con una orden final de deportación, muy temprano en la mañana. Si alguien está golpeando en su puerta a las 6:00 am, no le es requerido abrir la puerta. Mirar fuera de primera. Si es un agente del gobierno, ust…