Skip to main content

What you need to know before you go you go outside the U.S. With a travel permit.

People with pending applications with the U.S. Citizenship and immigration services often need a "travel permit" or "advance parole" document before leaving the U.S. This will prevent applicants from having their applications deemed "abandoned" for having departed the country without asking first for permission while waiting a final decision on their applications. 
Practically speaking, getting an advance parole document is not complicated: you pay the fee, fill out a form, and your travel permit is issued within a few weeks. What's complicated about this process is actually knowing if traveling outside the U.S. is in your best interest when you know you have a pending application. USCIS will gladly take your fee and issue a travel permit, but that doesn't necessarily mean you are actually eligible to travel abroad without complications. Only an attorney can give you a definite answer on whether you should--or shouldn't--travel abroad. 
Some one traveling outside the U.S. on a travel permit issued by USCIS could be denied entry to the country upon return. Some of the reasons why people get stuck outside the country are the following:
- The person traveling abroad wasn't aware that he had an order of removal on his record (note that judges are not the only ones who can remove you; you can be administratively removed by DHS too);
- The person traveling abroad missed a fingerprint or interview appointment while he was outside the U.S.;
- The person traveling abroad had a criminal record (was convicted of an offense or offenses that were more serious than the person believed them to be);
- The person's application that was pending at the time he left the U.S. was denied while he was abroad--this is why the timing of applying for a travel permit is also an important thing to discuss with an attorney!;
- Upon return, CBP denies the traveler's entry to the U.S. based on an incorrect belief--yes, the federal government makes mistakes, and sometimes people are denied entry by mistake. If you get stuck at the airport, calling an attorney immediately is a good idea!
With this being said, traveling outside the U.S. is sometimes a necessity or an emergency for many people, but before you step outside the country, consult with an immigration attorney on how to avoid any complications that could prevent you from returning to the U.S.
Shirley C. Zambrano
Immigration Attorney



Popular posts from this blog

If You Are An Immigrant (even a US Citizen), Here Are 9 Things You Should Know

Are you a Naturalized U.S. Citizen, Lawful Permanent Resident, Visa Holder, or an Undocumented Immigrant? We recommend you take the following steps to protect yourself in our current version of America.
The last couple of weeks have reminded immigrants, even naturalized U.S. citizens, that they were not born in the United States. Our office has received countless phone calls, emails, and social media messages from people worrying about what their family’s future in the United States holds.
Most people want to know what they can do now to protect themselves from what promises to be a wave of anti-immigration activity by the federal government. Trump's Executive Order on Interior Enforcement has some provisions that should make most Americans shiver.  We recommend the following actions for each of the following groups:
Naturalized U.S. citizens. In particular if you have a foreign accent, and you are traveling within 100 miles of any US Border (including the oceans), we strongly rec…
Si usted es inmigrante (incluso un ciudadano de los EE.UU.), aquí hay 9 cosas que usted debe saber.

¿Es usted un ciudadano estadounidense naturalizado, residente legal permanente, titular de una visa o inmigrante indocumentado? Le recomendamos que tome los siguientes pasos para protegerse de nuestra versión actual de América.
Las últimas semanas hemos recordado a los inmigrantes, incluso a los ciudadanos estadounidenses naturalizados, que no nacieron en los Estados Unidos. Nuestra oficina ha recibido innumerables llamadas telefónicas, mensajes de correo electrónico y mensajes de medios sociales de personas preocupadas por el futuro de su familia en los Estados Unidos.
La mayoría de gente quiere saber qué puede hacer ahora para protegerse de lo que promete ser una ola de actividad anti-inmigración por parte del gobierno federal. La orden ejecutiva de Trump sobre la aplicación de la ley interior tiene algunas disposiciones que deberían hacer temblar a la mayoría de los estadounidenses. …

Why is USCIS Taking So Long to Renew DACA Work Permits?

If the calls to our office are any indicator, there are thousands of DACA recipients whose work permit applications were filed at least three months prior to expiration, who are still waiting for their renewed work permits.  Without renewed permits, these individuals lose the right to work legally, the right to drive, and may once again accrue unlawful presence.

The DHS published a notice in October 2014 advising DACA recipients that they could file their request for extension up to 150 days (5 months) prior to expiration.  As with all things government, very few of the DACA recipients, who tend not to frequent government websites, knew about the memo and many did not file so far before expiration perhaps thinking that extending a work permit was a like extending a drivers license, its is done in a few minutes.  As an experienced immigration lawyer will tell you, the USCIS does nothing quickly, and certainly does not worry that a person may lose their job or their driver's licens…