Skip to main content

Top 3 Immigration Myths that You Need to Know

written by Hiba Ghalib, Associate, Kuck Immigration Partners

Forecasts of snowstorms and rainfall are not the only ones being made on our evening news lately. Predictions of major reform to our complex, archaic immigration laws are also being announced as bipartisan congressional leadership hunker down in Washington to tackle comprehensive changes in our current immigration system, set to happen in 2013.  And, as the winds of change blow, families hoping to fix their immigration problems have begun to come out to ask what they can do.

Over the past several weeks, the attorneys at Kuck Immigration Partners have been fortunate to travel to several local venues to speak to the community about immigration, allowing families and individuals with immigration questions the opportunity to address them.  However, after meeting with a few hundred people, you start to see the same questions cycle back and forth.  We cannot guess what reform will do, but before we try to predict the future of our immigration laws, let’s first try and understand our current system a little better. To do this, I thought I would take a moment to address the top three questions I have come across in hopes to assist those in similar predicaments.

Myth #1

If I am in the United States after having entered without inspection but I have a U.S. Citizen child or spouse, can’t my child or spouse apply for my greencard?

It’s not that simple. If you entered the U.S. without inspection, you may not adjust status to permanent residency, even if you have U.S. Citizen spouse or child over 21 years of age that can petition for you. To become a permanent resident, you must leave the U.S. and consular process, the same way anyone else would who is outside the United States. However, if you are like most, you have accrued unlawful presence in the United States, which would trigger a three or ten year bar from re-entering the United States once you leave. In such cases, the only way to re-enter is with a waiver of your unlawful presence. New provisional waiver process will be in effect starting March 4, 2013 does not change the requirement of filing the waiver, but simply changes the place and time you can file it. For more information about the provisional waiver, please see Charles Kuck's Provisional Waiver blog HERE and USCIS's explanation HERE.

If you think you are ready to proceed with this process, you also want to ensure that you are otherwise eligible for permanent residency. During many consultations with clients, it’s not uncommon to dig up an old, forgotten arrest for a crime committed while “young and stupid” that you may have thought was not a big deal but could actually render you inadmissible.  It’s extremely important to consult with a licensed immigration attorney to advise you prior to filing any immigration forms.  Be ready to be candid with your attorney- remember, they are on your side and they cannot help you if they are kept in the dark.

Myth #2

I may have been arrested for shoplifting and a DUI (and honestly I wouldn’t have snatched a pair of socks and the car battery from Walmart had I not been drunk!) But my criminal attorney said if I plead guilty and pay a fine I will not have to go to jail. Will this affect my future immigration case? Could I be ordered removed?

Here’s where it becomes extremely critical to seek advice regarding the immigration consequences of your criminal case. First, if you or a loved one ever gets arrested, make sure you not only consult with a criminal attorney that can assist with his/her criminal charges, but also an immigration attorney who is likely more familiar with the immigration consequences of your pending charges. Do this ASAP. If you or your loved one is confined, be very careful about rushing to pay the criminal bond until you have at least consulted with an attorney. A guilty finding, whether or not it was a plea, will be more difficult to undo. And if you or your loved one has an ICE hold, it will begin to take effect. Someone may tell you that if you plead guilty and pay a fine it will “go away” – however unless you are a U.S. citizen, chances are this is absolutely not true.  Even lawful permanent residents who have resided in the U.S. for decades can be put in removal proceedings for a crime committed.

Long story short, prevention is the best medicine. If you cannot not commit a crime, and you cannot not get arrested, at least try to prevent any charge that could have the potential to make you forever barred from lawfully residing in the United States.  If you have already been convicted, post-conviction relief is the remedy you may need to explore, but you will definitely need to speak to a qualified attorney to advise you on both your criminal case as well as your immigration case.

Myth #3

If I have been in the United States for over ten years, can I apply to become a permanent resident? 

NO NO NO.  You may not affirmatively apply for a greencard simply because you have resided in the United States for 10 years. There is no such thing as a “10 year rule”. With that said, IF an individual happens to be placed in removal proceedings, he or she may then qualify for what’s called Cancellation of Removal and Adjustment of Status for Certain Nonpermanent Residents.  To apply for Cancellation one must be able to show that they have resided in the United States for at least ten years, do not have any disqualifying criminal offenses and are otherwise persons or “good moral character”, plus that their U.S. Citizen qualifying relative will suffer extreme and extraordinary hardship if ordered removed.  Even if you think you are eligible to apply for Cancellation of Removal, you may do so only a defense to removal proceedings, keeping in mind the fact that not all applicants for Cancellation win, even those that are statutorily eligible.

This list is by no means exhaustive, nor is it intended to be legal advice.  Just like every person is unique, so is every person’s case. Even if it appears your neighbor or friend may have been in the exact situation as you, chances are your case is very different.  Please call a licensed immigration attorney to discus your case to see what you can do to enjoy lawful status in the United States. And, while you’re near a phone, call your local congressperson and let them know you are in support of comprehensive immigration reform. While I am not one to immediately cancel a picnic if weather forecasters call for rain, I am optimistic that the announcements of impending comprehensive immigration reform will actually happen.  Until then, stay tuned…


Popular posts from this blog

If You Are An Immigrant (even a US Citizen), Here Are 9 Things You Should Know

Are you a Naturalized U.S. Citizen, Lawful Permanent Resident, Visa Holder, or an Undocumented Immigrant? We recommend you take the following steps to protect yourself in our current version of America.
The last couple of weeks have reminded immigrants, even naturalized U.S. citizens, that they were not born in the United States. Our office has received countless phone calls, emails, and social media messages from people worrying about what their family’s future in the United States holds.
Most people want to know what they can do now to protect themselves from what promises to be a wave of anti-immigration activity by the federal government. Trump's Executive Order on Interior Enforcement has some provisions that should make most Americans shiver.  We recommend the following actions for each of the following groups:
Naturalized U.S. citizens. In particular if you have a foreign accent, and you are traveling within 100 miles of any US Border (including the oceans), we strongly rec…

Why is USCIS Taking So Long to Renew DACA Work Permits?

If the calls to our office are any indicator, there are thousands of DACA recipients whose work permit applications were filed at least three months prior to expiration, who are still waiting for their renewed work permits.  Without renewed permits, these individuals lose the right to work legally, the right to drive, and may once again accrue unlawful presence.

The DHS published a notice in October 2014 advising DACA recipients that they could file their request for extension up to 150 days (5 months) prior to expiration.  As with all things government, very few of the DACA recipients, who tend not to frequent government websites, knew about the memo and many did not file so far before expiration perhaps thinking that extending a work permit was a like extending a drivers license, its is done in a few minutes.  As an experienced immigration lawyer will tell you, the USCIS does nothing quickly, and certainly does not worry that a person may lose their job or their driver's licens…


Todas las personas en los Estados Unidos, incluidos los extranjeros y aun los con ordenes de deportacion, tienen ciertos derechos básicos que deben ser respetados por los agentes de Inmigración y Aduanas (ICE). Estos derechos se derivan tanto de la Constitución de los Estados Unidos. y las leyes de Estados Unidos. Como extranjero, usted tiene los siguientes derechos:

Usted tiene el derecho de negar la entrada a un agente de ICE a su casa sin una orden válida. Esta orden debe ser firmado por un juez. Usted puede negarse a abrir la puerta, o se puede cerrar la puerta después de descubrir que el agente no tiene una orden válida. Los agentes del ICE generalmente no vienen con una orden judicial. Estos agentes suelen venir a la casa de alguien con una orden final de deportación, muy temprano en la mañana. Si alguien está golpeando en su puerta a las 6:00 am, no le es requerido abrir la puerta. Mirar fuera de primera. Si es un agente del gobierno, ust…