Skip to main content

When your L-1B (or any other Employment-Based Petition) is Denied, Don’t File a Motion to Reopen – Take them to Federal Court!

We’ve all seen some of the hoops USCIS is making practitioners and employers jump through when trying to seek an L-1B (Specialized Knowledge Intracompany Transferee) approval for an employee and the daunting prospect of submitting a Motion to Reopen to U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (“CIS”) to challenge a wholly unfounded denial.  I think it goes without saying that filing a Motion to Reopen can not only be fruitless, but also be subject to what seems an endless processing time.
My most recent approval was just this scenario, and we took it to federal court instead – a denied L-1B, and after only a few short months a reopening of the denial, and a response to an RFE, we now have an approved L-1B success story.    

Fortunately, there is a much better alternative – look into filing a Declaratory Judgment Action in federal court.  It’s the best and most efficient way to challenge the decision AND make it an even playing field to argue your position.  I say that because CIS is put on notice that if they take a restrictive position on L-1B eligibility they will have to face the issue in federal court.  CIS rarely wants to be bothered with this, so they agree to settle by reopening and approving the petition, sometimes with an RFE first. 

Challenging USCIS in federal court has become fairly routine for me, and I have learned that it’s not only effective for L-1Bs, but for any employment-based petition so long as we feel it was in fact an approvable case and CIS simply misapplied the standards.  The other benefit is that the Petitioner is not required to go through the Motion to Reopen process before bringing directly into federal court.  It may seem intimidating to the employer, but is typically much more painless than the former. 

Please contact me at 404.949.8151 or with any questions.


Popular posts from this blog

If You Are An Immigrant (even a US Citizen), Here Are 9 Things You Should Know

Are you a Naturalized U.S. Citizen, Lawful Permanent Resident, Visa Holder, or an Undocumented Immigrant? We recommend you take the following steps to protect yourself in our current version of America.
The last couple of weeks have reminded immigrants, even naturalized U.S. citizens, that they were not born in the United States. Our office has received countless phone calls, emails, and social media messages from people worrying about what their family’s future in the United States holds.
Most people want to know what they can do now to protect themselves from what promises to be a wave of anti-immigration activity by the federal government. Trump's Executive Order on Interior Enforcement has some provisions that should make most Americans shiver.  We recommend the following actions for each of the following groups:
Naturalized U.S. citizens. In particular if you have a foreign accent, and you are traveling within 100 miles of any US Border (including the oceans), we strongly rec…


Todas las personas en los Estados Unidos, incluidos los extranjeros y aun los con ordenes de deportacion, tienen ciertos derechos básicos que deben ser respetados por los agentes de Inmigración y Aduanas (ICE). Estos derechos se derivan tanto de la Constitución de los Estados Unidos. y las leyes de Estados Unidos. Como extranjero, usted tiene los siguientes derechos:

Usted tiene el derecho de negar la entrada a un agente de ICE a su casa sin una orden válida. Esta orden debe ser firmado por un juez. Usted puede negarse a abrir la puerta, o se puede cerrar la puerta después de descubrir que el agente no tiene una orden válida. Los agentes del ICE generalmente no vienen con una orden judicial. Estos agentes suelen venir a la casa de alguien con una orden final de deportación, muy temprano en la mañana. Si alguien está golpeando en su puerta a las 6:00 am, no le es requerido abrir la puerta. Mirar fuera de primera. Si es un agente del gobierno, ust…



11.  Jeff Sessions is not only cold, smug and heartless, he also lies.  I may have cracked a molar grinding my teeth watching Sessions try not to smile as he gleefully read the statement that essentially ripped the heart out of 800,000 young people.  But what struck me the most were the blatant nativist lies and misinformation he spewed.  To name just a few: “DACA…contributed to a surge of minors at the southern border.”  Really?  So the surge didn’t start well before DACA due to the extreme violence and abject poverty in Honduras, El Salvador and Guatemala?  Or maybe those kids were just clairvoyant, and they saw DACA coming years in advance.  If the kids did in fact know about DACA, they would have known that they didn’t qualify unless they had been in the U.S. before 2007.      DACA granted immigrants “benefits, including participation in the Social Security program…”  This is patently false, unless by participati…