Skip to main content

Immigration Reform - What You Can Do To Make It Happen

WHEN is immigration reform going to happen?  My response is always the same, when YOU make it happen. That is right, YOU!  Senators and Congressman make the law, but they make the law based upon the demands of the people, and you are one of the people they listen too.

Did you know that regardless of your immigration status, you were counted in the census, and that a seat in Congress was apportioned to YOU.  That means that the congressman and senators in Washington (and at the state level) are there because you counted and that they are your representatives regardless of your immigration status.  They are accountable to you.  No one should be afraid to call their congressman or senator, and certainly not if they are undocumented.

Actually, its pretty simple.  Call 202-224-3121 for the Capitol Switchboard.  Ask to speak to your Senator (for Georgia this is Senators Isakson and Chambliss).  Or, ask to speak to your Congressman.  You can locate who your congressman is by going to this link:  Then call that same number and ask to speak to him.  Tell him you are a constituent, that you live in Georgia (they sometimes ask for your address to make sure you actually in the district), and then tell the person answering the phone you are calling to ask the Senator or Congressman to SUPPORT IMMIGRATION REFORM like Senate Bill S.744.  

The Anti-Immigration forces call everyday, all day long.  They flood Congress with calls, because they are angry people.  They do not like immigrants (don't let their "we like legal immigrants" fool you, they don't like any immigrants), and they are angry.  Angry people call their congressman and senators and they are calling now.  YOU need to call now if you want to fix our Immigration laws for the future.  The bills pending in Congress are NOT perfect. But they are good enough and we cannot let the perfect be the enemy of the good.

So, I challenge you.  Make three calls today.  One each to our two Senators and one to your congressman.  Do this every single day until immigration reform happens. It will take no more than 3 minutes.  You, your family, and your friends can, and will, make the difference to make Immigration Reform happen  in 2013.


Popular posts from this blog

If You Are An Immigrant (even a US Citizen), Here Are 9 Things You Should Know

Are you a Naturalized U.S. Citizen, Lawful Permanent Resident, Visa Holder, or an Undocumented Immigrant? We recommend you take the following steps to protect yourself in our current version of America.
The last couple of weeks have reminded immigrants, even naturalized U.S. citizens, that they were not born in the United States. Our office has received countless phone calls, emails, and social media messages from people worrying about what their family’s future in the United States holds.
Most people want to know what they can do now to protect themselves from what promises to be a wave of anti-immigration activity by the federal government. Trump's Executive Order on Interior Enforcement has some provisions that should make most Americans shiver.  We recommend the following actions for each of the following groups:
Naturalized U.S. citizens. In particular if you have a foreign accent, and you are traveling within 100 miles of any US Border (including the oceans), we strongly rec…

Why is USCIS Taking So Long to Renew DACA Work Permits?

If the calls to our office are any indicator, there are thousands of DACA recipients whose work permit applications were filed at least three months prior to expiration, who are still waiting for their renewed work permits.  Without renewed permits, these individuals lose the right to work legally, the right to drive, and may once again accrue unlawful presence.

The DHS published a notice in October 2014 advising DACA recipients that they could file their request for extension up to 150 days (5 months) prior to expiration.  As with all things government, very few of the DACA recipients, who tend not to frequent government websites, knew about the memo and many did not file so far before expiration perhaps thinking that extending a work permit was a like extending a drivers license, its is done in a few minutes.  As an experienced immigration lawyer will tell you, the USCIS does nothing quickly, and certainly does not worry that a person may lose their job or their driver's licens…


Todas las personas en los Estados Unidos, incluidos los extranjeros y aun los con ordenes de deportacion, tienen ciertos derechos básicos que deben ser respetados por los agentes de Inmigración y Aduanas (ICE). Estos derechos se derivan tanto de la Constitución de los Estados Unidos. y las leyes de Estados Unidos. Como extranjero, usted tiene los siguientes derechos:

Usted tiene el derecho de negar la entrada a un agente de ICE a su casa sin una orden válida. Esta orden debe ser firmado por un juez. Usted puede negarse a abrir la puerta, o se puede cerrar la puerta después de descubrir que el agente no tiene una orden válida. Los agentes del ICE generalmente no vienen con una orden judicial. Estos agentes suelen venir a la casa de alguien con una orden final de deportación, muy temprano en la mañana. Si alguien está golpeando en su puerta a las 6:00 am, no le es requerido abrir la puerta. Mirar fuera de primera. Si es un agente del gobierno, ust…