Musings on Immigration

Our Globally Recognized Team of Immigration Lawyers Sharing Knowledge and Providing Counsel on Immigration Issues that Affect You, Your Business and Your Family

Babies of Green Card Holders

What should you do if you are a green card holder and you give birth to a child outside of the United States? You may have realized in horror that it will take somewhere between 7 and 17 years to sponsor your child to come to the United States even if you file a petition for him before you leave the delivery room. Luckily, as long as you are admissible as a lawful permanent resident and your child is under the age of two- he will be issued an I-181 (record of permanent residence) upon entry into the United States. Most ports of entry will require your child to have his own passport and a valid B (tourist) visa. The US embassy will require evidence that you are a green card holder, your child’s passport and his birth certificate. Children born to lawful permanent residents inside the United States are of course citizens.

No comments:

Post a Comment