Skip to main content

Georgia Driver's License Rules Have Changed! - Adjustment of Status and Cancellation of Removal Applicants

The Georgia Department of Driver Services (DDS) has changed its position on driver's licenses for certain immigrants and is now giving driver's licenses to immigrants who are applying for adjustment of status (a green card) or who have a cancellation of removal case pending with the immigration court. In September of 2015 DDS began denying licenses to immigrants in these categories but has changed its rule.

How Do I know if I Can Get a License?

If you don’t know what type of case you have pending with immigration, just look at the “category” on your work permit. If your category is (a)(12), (a)(14), (c)(8), (c)(9), (c)(10), (c)(33), you can get a license.

What Documents Do I Need to Bring to DDS to Get a License?

1) A valid, unexpired passport
2) A valid, unexpired work permit showing category (a)(12), (a)(14), (c)(8), (c)(9), (c)(10), (c)(33)
2) Your I-797C notice that states one of the following:

      a) Pending adjustment of status application (I-485) 

      b) Pending Cancellation of Removal (EOIR 42B) NOTE: If you have pending Cancellation of Removal, you MUST ALSO bring your I-797C receipt notice from your pending Adjustment of Status application (I-485). EVERY Cancellation of Removal applicant is sent an I-797C for an I-485.

      c) Pending asylum or withholding of removal (I-589)

      d) Approved DACA

      e) Approved Deferred Action (U visa applicants included)

      f) Approved TPS

What do I do if DDS says I'm not eligible for a license because of my immigration status?

Kindly ask to see a supervisor. The immigration documentation you have is very different from the type of documentation DDS employees usually review. Some employees might not know about the rule change or understand it. A supervisor is more likely to know the rules. If you are still denied a license and you are sure you have the right paperwork, apply at a different DDS office. If you are still denied, contact us!

Can I Get A License if I Am Completely Undocumented?

Unfortunately you cannot get a license in Georgia if you are a completely undocumented immigrant. But we are working on this and will continue to push for change!

- Anna Erwin, Esq.


  1. I have this very issue. I am Australian and I live in Savannah GA. I am in the final stage of the green card process so - pending I -485. I was issued a EAD "Parole" card to use. However they have refused all documents.
    Passport - No
    SS - No
    EAD Parole card - No
    Pending I-797 the I-485 form conformation - No was they said it "says" pending!
    So now I have no way to drive my children to school or get around. GA is one backward state.


Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

If You Are An Immigrant (even a US Citizen), Here Are 9 Things You Should Know

Are you a Naturalized U.S. Citizen, Lawful Permanent Resident, Visa Holder, or an Undocumented Immigrant? We recommend you take the following steps to protect yourself in our current version of America.
The last couple of weeks have reminded immigrants, even naturalized U.S. citizens, that they were not born in the United States. Our office has received countless phone calls, emails, and social media messages from people worrying about what their family’s future in the United States holds.
Most people want to know what they can do now to protect themselves from what promises to be a wave of anti-immigration activity by the federal government. Trump's Executive Order on Interior Enforcement has some provisions that should make most Americans shiver.  We recommend the following actions for each of the following groups:
Naturalized U.S. citizens. In particular if you have a foreign accent, and you are traveling within 100 miles of any US Border (including the oceans), we strongly rec…
Si usted es inmigrante (incluso un ciudadano de los EE.UU.), aquí hay 9 cosas que usted debe saber.

¿Es usted un ciudadano estadounidense naturalizado, residente legal permanente, titular de una visa o inmigrante indocumentado? Le recomendamos que tome los siguientes pasos para protegerse de nuestra versión actual de América.
Las últimas semanas hemos recordado a los inmigrantes, incluso a los ciudadanos estadounidenses naturalizados, que no nacieron en los Estados Unidos. Nuestra oficina ha recibido innumerables llamadas telefónicas, mensajes de correo electrónico y mensajes de medios sociales de personas preocupadas por el futuro de su familia en los Estados Unidos.
La mayoría de gente quiere saber qué puede hacer ahora para protegerse de lo que promete ser una ola de actividad anti-inmigración por parte del gobierno federal. La orden ejecutiva de Trump sobre la aplicación de la ley interior tiene algunas disposiciones que deberían hacer temblar a la mayoría de los estadounidenses. …

Why is USCIS Taking So Long to Renew DACA Work Permits?

If the calls to our office are any indicator, there are thousands of DACA recipients whose work permit applications were filed at least three months prior to expiration, who are still waiting for their renewed work permits.  Without renewed permits, these individuals lose the right to work legally, the right to drive, and may once again accrue unlawful presence.

The DHS published a notice in October 2014 advising DACA recipients that they could file their request for extension up to 150 days (5 months) prior to expiration.  As with all things government, very few of the DACA recipients, who tend not to frequent government websites, knew about the memo and many did not file so far before expiration perhaps thinking that extending a work permit was a like extending a drivers license, its is done in a few minutes.  As an experienced immigration lawyer will tell you, the USCIS does nothing quickly, and certainly does not worry that a person may lose their job or their driver's licens…